You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.

– Psalm 119:114

This week has been full. The afternoons of this week have included sport, musical rehearsals, co-curricular activities, and study. Year 12 have completed the first week of their Trial HSC examinations, and done so in a calm and measured fashion, consistent with their preparation, and with the understanding that they are learning as they do the exams, and that the feedback they receive will be valuable as they swing into preparation for the coming HSC. I have been impressed with the way that Year 12 have handled the challenges that are normal for the final year of schooling, along with the unforeseen challenges that 2020 has brought.

There is comfort in the resumption of familiar routines and activities, and while we acknowledge that some of these additional activities may be curtailed if circumstances change, we are nonetheless enjoying them for the moment.

Creative and Performing Arts

This term has seen the resumption of the NBCS Rock Bands, Made To Sing, Chamber Choir, Concert Band and Senior Concert Band. It has been wonderful to introduce a K-11 Combined Choir, along with Song Writing for private and small group tuition.

In Musical news, with planned performances towards the end of Term 4, rehearsals have resumed under the leadership of Mr Owen with a newly appointed Musical Director, Mr Chris King, whose professional experience includes working on major musicals in Australia, New Zealand and Asia, including WickedFrozenAladdinThe Lion King, and The Book of Mormon.

In all of these activities, we have implemented appropriate hygiene measures and spacing.

Sport

Most activities have resumed, with COVID safety protocols in place for training and games. Peninsula Cup Teams have started competing against other schools, including in Rugby, Soccer and an upcoming Netball Gala Day. We have shared the honours in games this week in Rugby and Soccer and it is really good to see the oval in use. Co-curricular clubs and activities range from trail running to sprints training, swimming, jiu jitsu, strength and conditioning and basketball, and we are enjoying the ability to add physical elements back into the balance of school and student life.

Other Clubs and Activities

We have recently purchased new equipment for our robotics experiences, as well as beginning pottery classes after school and a range of other clubs such as Maths, Philosophy and Drama. Mock Trial rolls on for Years 10 and 11, with their second round taking place next week via Zoom.

Year 11 Subject Selections

The Year 11 2021 subject selection process has been completed and students have been notified of their successful choices.

In 2021 Year 11 will have 49 classes across 30 different courses, with an average class size of 17.

  • Maths – Extension, Advanced and Standard
  • English – Extension and Advanced
  • Science – Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Environmental Science and Physics
  • History – Ancient History and Modern History
  • Social Science – Business Studies, Economics, Geography, Legal Studies, Society and Culture
  • Creative and Performing Arts – Visual Arts, Drama, Design and Technology, Textiles and Design, Music 1 and Music 2
  • Technology – Engineering Studies, Food Technology, Industrial Technology, Information Processes and Technology and Software Design and Development
  • PDHPE – PDHPE
  • Studies of Religion – Studies of Religion 1 and 2

Additionally, some students will study one subject through TAFE, Notre Dame University or the NSW School of Languages.

We are delighted to be able to provide this breadth of opportunity for our students and pleased that we were able to meet 97.5% of student subject choices, with the remaining 2.5% being resolved through student reserve preferences. We aim to head our students toward success by helping them choose courses that suit them, that challenge them and that set them up for ongoing and future success. I would like to acknowledge the work of Mr Tim Harding (Assistant Principal – Learning), Mrs Tamsin Jeffery-Bilich (Year 10 Community Leader), and Ms Liz Delevaux (Careers Adviser) in working with Year 10 through this process.

Planning for 2021

Our planning for 2021 is in full swing as we look at growing our students in the academic, wellbeing, Christian and co-curricular spheres. Our aim is to build in them a deep and abiding love of learning. It is this deep love of learning, and the ability to apply it, that will propel them into an open future with the skills, character, effort and meta-learning (adaptability) needed to continue to thrive and grow in spite of what comes their way. We don’t and can’t know the future, something that 2020 has proven pretty clearly, but we do know what our students need to be prepared for it, and that is where our efforts therefore are directed, developing student skills, character, effort and their learning how to learn (adaptability).

Tim Watson
Principal